The sadness of the human condition both in its brutality and in its resiliency is shown with great clarity and depth. I was most deeply saddened by the lostness or our human condition.
As the author herself writes: "The Pacific POW's who went home in 1945 were torn down men. They had an intimate understanding of man's vast capacity to experience suffering, as well as his equally vast capacity, and hungry willingness to inflict it...Coming home was an experience of profound, perilous aloneness"
This no doubt speaks for many veterans of foreign wars suffering from PTSD's (click here to donate to wounded warriors project).
As I read further, I was moved to tears to read of the downward spiral that the subjects life took trying to cope with the horrific violations of his experience as a POW.
It was with surprised delight that I unexpectedly learned of Louis Zamperini's conversion experience. (My wife did not tell me much about the story beforehand) Any who have experienced salvation can relate to the great release of hatred and anger that accompanies an encounter of acceptance with the Lord Jesus.
Mr Zamperini's life illustrates so well how a life consumed by the fires of hatred can be so utterly transformed by a personal relationship with the living God rather than mere religion.
No comments:
Post a Comment